Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Yortzeit

Yortzeit is the Jewish ceremony remembering someone on the anniversary of their passing. Prayers are said, and a candle is lit. Not much beyond that; there are other things to do if you want, but the point is to not let their memory fade. We used to light a candle for people's memories in church, but you don't see that any more. I guess fire regulations don't like all those unattended flames.

Jeffrey passed away one year ago, and it still seems like yesterday that I was talking to him. I guess it's because the story is keeping him alive for me, and for that I'm grateful. I'm not sure how he'd feel about the book; hopefully he's be amused, and I'm sure I'd have to explain some of the jokes and events that take place. Part of me really wants to know what he thinks, and part of me wants to avoid the thought because it will make it that much harder to finish, but for now, I'm just grateful that I don't have to light a candle to picture him.

No comments:

Post a Comment